VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

peewee i remember i think seeing you and jimmy holmes
playing ball but seems to me they were games at the quarry must have been semi pro ball.i remember badie black and larry wyatt.hatchet and a few of those other guys.i particularly remember a game when in the bottom of ninth 2 outs a high fly ball to short.short
let the ball pop out of his glove and u caught it to end the game.i played with badies brother billy in high school,very strong and consistent ball player.
i played for coach mason for 1 year in the 7 th grade
he was a tough coach but he was very good then i played a few years for coach brooks b4 i got my back hurt and had to quit playing.rambling on can't help it. see ya clark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Trish,
You were the best looking Centerfielder in Sylacauga. I remember we were playing a team in that Cowpasture on East Street and their team was all barefoot. I think we were all barefoot and one of our players hit the ball in a briar bed just behind the pitcher's mound. Nobody could get the ball and our player went all around the bases. Paul Etress's sister walked out there and got the ball. She was barefoot also but tough as she was pretty.
I also remember that Comer or whoever owned the pasture dug a big ditch right down the middle of our ball field (cowpasture) so we couldn't play there anymore..A true, true story

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Tip Top,
I played with Weogufka's Saturday & Sunday teams and we played near the Quarry. We also played at Weogufka High School and at Rockford behind the Jailhouse. I worked in the cotton mill a year before I went to college and that summer we'd play two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday. Couldn't get enough of it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Thanks Old Fogey for the compliment but it took me a little longer to look like a girl. ES and Paul showed me no mercy. They made me as tough as they could. When I was little I thought all girls fought like I did with those two. Lathan was 3 years younger than me and he was and still is like a little brother to me. We all picked on him but we didn't let anybody else. Baseball was such a good sport for us MillVillage kids. One ball and one bat is all we needed. If you could afford a glove that was a plus............Trish